Here’s evidence to understand what really happened at the ending of Andhadhun, the directorial masterpiece by Sriram Raghavan. If you want the entire plot synopsis, go here – Andhadhun Plot: Things You Might Have Missed. Here’s the truth about what Akash did in the end. This is the Andhadhun ending explained, spoilers ahead. You can watch the film here.
In case you’re new to the site, here’s how it works. If the article doesn’t answer all of your questions, drop me a comment or an FB chat message, and I’ll get you the answer to your question. You can find other films using the search option on top of this page.
Some Facts we know from Andhadhun
Akash is not all good. He’s someone who fakes having a handicap for fringe benefits. But that said, he does get entangled in an unfortunate turn of events for no fault of his. And as a result, has his eyesight taken from him.
Simi is shown to be evil. She is ready to kill anyone to save herself. She’s not bothered that her husband was killed because of her affair. She does not hesitate one bit to kill her nosey neighbour. She’s almost beating Akash to death. She almost stabs the doctor to death.
Simi’s Apparent Death
The police have stated that Simi has committed suicide and the media has built a solid story around it too. So no one’s going to be looking for Simi. Even if Manohar were alive, he’d just be happy if Simi disappeared.
Dr. Swami’s Proposal
Dr. Swami was saved by Akash, so he grants him two options:
- One, join him, get his eyesight back, get a cut of the money, go abroad and live happily ever after.
- Two, get off at the nearest bus stop, go back home and live the life of a poor blind musician.
The last scene – the can
In the end, we also know that Akash is not blind, thanks to that can shot. For him to have gotten his sight back, he would have needed a donor and an operation. He didn’t have the money for surgery and donors aren’t easy to come by. Even if lady luck smiled on him and someone got him his eyes back, he would have had no reason to hide that information from Sophie. His motive for lying is because of what transpired in that car.
Proof that Akash agreed to the doctor’s proposal
A friend from work, Bhavesh (you can check his food reviews – here) happened to hand me a very crucial piece of info from the film that provides proof to the fact that the doctor and Akash went ahead with their ploy involving Simi. Let’s go back to that scene where they drive away.
Here’s the frame we are shown the first time when we see the film as the narrative. After this, we are taken to two years later. The car does not stop. They drive on.
Here’s the same frame we are shown a second time when we see Akash’s backstory to Sophie as the narrative. The car stops.
Andhadhun Ending Explained
It is when they stop that Akash claims Simi overpowered the doctor. But as per the film’s narrative, in reality, they never made the stop. Which means there was no death of the doctor, no hare, no accident, no explosion. That was all only part of Akash’s false story to Sophie.
What they did with Simi was a crime, and his faking blindness helps him cover that up. Akash owns a walking stick which has a hare head. I believe, over time, he’s cooked up the story of the hare that saved him to conceal his crime. Akash is shown to have no one in his life, definitely no friend who could take him to London. Remember when he’s blinded, and Sakku asks him if she should call anyone? He says he has “no one”.
We, as the audience, agree with the doctor. Sophie suggests the same too. It is natural that Akash also agreed with the doctor, and got his eyes operated from the cut of the money that he made, and bailed from the country. He possibly even has Simi’s eyes now. There you go, the Andhadhun ending explained, with proof. Now you can get that good night’s sleep. If you would like to read more about the plot, do check out – Andhadhun Plot: Things You Might Have Missed.
Another interesting Bollywood film, although supernatural, is Stree. Do check it out.
Other Interesting Films
- Jonathan is a 2018 science-fiction drama directed by Bill Oliver. The movie is his first full-length feature film, and he’s done a great job with …Read More »
- Hi, this is Barry, and welcome to my site. The Prestige needs no introduction to film lovers, specifically Nolan fans, as this 2006 star-studded masterpiece …Read More »
- Barry's Time Travel Review Score Mechanics Repercussion Coherence Rewatchability 2.6 BaTTR Score What’s BaTTR Score? Hi, this is Barry, and welcome to my site. 41 …Read More »
- Nocturne is a 2020 psychological thriller (and possibly horror) film directed by Zu Quirke, his first full-length feature film. The plot revolves around a pair …Read More »
- Hi, this is Barry, and welcome to my site. The Awakening is a 2011 horror film set in the 1920s. The plot is centred on …Read More »
- Parasite (a.k.a Gisaengchung) is a 2019 Korean film written and directed by Bong Joon-ho. The film won Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and …Read More »
- Barry's Time Travel Review Score Mechanics Repercussion Coherence Rewatchability 3.3 BaTTR Score What’s BaTTR Score? Avengers: Endgame is a fantastic ending to the epic Marvel …Read More »
- Bird Box is a doomsday thriller directed by Susanne Bier. The story of Bird Box is based on the book by the same name. The …Read More »
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is the fantastic animated take on a universe that brings in multiple Spider-People from other realities. While the plot is not …Read More »
- This film is brought to you by the same awesome creators who gave us The Matrix. However the same creators also gave us The Matrix …Read More »
Barry is a technologist who helps start-ups build successful products. His love for movies and production has led him to write his well-received film explanation and analysis articles to help everyone appreciate the films better. He’s regularly available for a chat conversation on his website and consults on storyboarding from time to time.
Click to browse all his film articles